Main Goals of the Fifth-Centennial Expedition
- Honor Juan Sebastián Elcano, Ferdinand Magellan, HM King Charles of Spain and all the brave European sailors who participated in the First Circumnavigation for their courage, strength and determination.
- Celebrate the World’s First Circumnavigation all across the globe and raise awareness of Spanish and Portuguese heritage.
- Raise awareness of the marine ecosystem which has become endangered due to increasing plastic waste, illegal fishing and damage caused by oil spills.
- Inspire others in their passions and goals to be focused, persistent and driven.
- Promote peace and unity between nations and cultures all over the world.
- Foster the spirit of exploration, sports and a healthy lifestyle.
- Uncover and report human trafficking.
- Set a new World Record Solo circumnavigating the globe aboard the smallest vessel ever.
- Our Expedition is ready to support the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is an international humanitarian organization with millions volunteers, members and staff worldwide founded to protect human life and health, to ensure respect for all human beings and to prevent and alleviate human suffering. The ICRC was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on three occasions, in 1917, 1944 and 1963.
The Spanish Red Cross was founded by Álvaro’s ancestor the Count of Ripalda.